-MISSOURI OPTIONS PROGRAM-
What is the Missouri Option Program?
The Missouri Option Program is designed to target students who have the ability to complete Missouri high school graduation requirements but for a variety of reasons lack the credits needed to graduate with their class and are at risk of leaving high school without a high school diploma. The program is sponsored by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. It is designed for high school seniors who are 17 years of age or older and are at least one full year of credit behind their class.
How does a student enroll in the Missouri Option Program?
Students are generally referred by their high school guidance counselor. The student and counselor will submit an application for enrollment and the student will take a test to demonstrate the ability to to read independently in English at a level sufficient to successfully complete HiSet instruction and testing. For participation in the Missouri Option Program, the student and parent/ guardian must sign a consent form.
How will a Missouri Option student earn a diploma?
The Missouri Option program provides an opportunity for students to earn a Holt, Timberland, or Liberty High School diploma by meeting the following requirements:
- Attend class 15 hours per week
- Provide documentation of working, doing community service, or attending career education classes 15 hours per week
- Pass a course in government and the functions of government
- Pass tests on the provisions and principles of the US and MO Constitutions
- Earn 1/2 credit of Health
- Earn 1/2 credit in United States Government
- Earn 1/2 credit in Personal Finance
- Enroll in Missouri Connections and complete a career portfolio
- Participate in all EOCs
- Take the ACT or ASVAB
- Pass the five content areas of the HiSET (Math, Writing, Science, Social Studies, Reading)
What will a Missouri Option transcript look like?
The student's previous academic history will be documented in the same manner as prior to enrolling in the program. However, the student's Missouri Option Score Report will be placed in their permanent record.
Where can I find additional information about the Missouri Option Program?
The Missouri Option Program follows the guidelines of the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. More information can be found at the following web site: